Youth Mental Health First Aid
Learn the skills of Youth Mental First Aid and be confident to spot the signs of mental health issues in a young person, offer first aid and guide them towards the support they need.
MHFA Associate Instructor
Our lead trainer is a MHFA England Associate Instructor, one of the highest rankings with MHFA.
Our lead trainer is quality assured through CIPD and qualified to design high quality courses.
Our Youth Mental Health First Aid course and others available have been designed directly by MHFA England.
What is Mental Health First Aid for Youth?
Would you know how to help?
One in ten young people experience a mental health issue at any one time. Suicide is the leading cause of death for those aged 5-19.
Seven are likely to have been bullied
Six may be self-harming
One could have experienced the death of a parent
Record levels of young people are struggling. Academic pressure, social media, bullying, poverty, lack of availability of professional mental health support – all have been named by various sources as contributing to this epidemic of poor mental health in our young people.
It’s clear that young people are not getting the support they need. Key figures in a young person’s life – parents, family members, teachers, tutors, carers, youth workers – can often spot when a young person is struggling but may not know how best to help.
MHFA – Enrol Now and be Certified.
Youth Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) courses are for everyone who works with, lives with or supports young people aged 8-18. They will teach you the skills and confidence to spot the signs of mental health issues in a young person, offer first aid and guide them towards the support they need. In doing so, you can speed up a young person’s recovery and stop a mental health issue from getting worse.
Our courses won’t teach you to be a therapist, but we will teach you to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis – and even potentially stop a crisis from happening.
But more than that, we aim to give you the information and skills to look after your own mental health so that you can set an example for young people. By giving you the tools to have these conversations, we hope to empower you to create a mentally healthy, supportive environment in your family, school, peer group or community.
Let’s create a future where mental health is treated as a normal part of life, in the same way as physical health. A future where every young person has access to support if they need it.
Upcoming Youth Mental Health First Aid Course Online
19 & 20 July Youth MHFA
Overview of Mental Health First Aid Certification Course for Youth
This online course trains you as a Youth Mental Health First Aider, giving you:
- An in-depth understanding of young people’s mental health and factors that affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to reassure and support a young person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help a young person recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s through self-help sites, their place of learning, the NHS, or a mix – engaging with parents, carers and external agencies where appropriate
- Ability to support a young person with a long term mental health issue or disability to thrive
- Tools to look after your own mental wellbeing
Cost of Mental Health First Aid Course for Youth
We value this course at £300 per person.
Format of Youth MHFA Online Course
- This is an online course delivered through the MHFA England Online Learning Hub
- Learning takes place through four live training sessions spread across one to two weeks, with self-learning activities in between. See course structure section below for more detail
- Each session is built around a Youth Mental Health First Aid action plan
- We limit numbers to 16 people per course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn
Everyone who completes the course gets:
- A certificate of attendance to say you are a Youth Mental Health First Aider
- A Youth MHFA manual to refer to whenever you need it
- A workbook including some helpful tools to support your own mental health
Course Structure – MHFA Mental Health First Aid
This course is held online over the course of 2 days from 9am – 5pm on both days
Day 1: 9am - 5pm
Session 1: Introduction
Individual learning (1 hour 15 minutes):
- Introduction to the Online Youth Mental Health First Aid course and the Online Learning Hub
- Activity 1: Why Youth Mental Health First Aid?
- Activity 2: What is ALGEE?
- Activity 3: What is mental health?
- Activity 4: Mental health and stigma
- Activity 5: Mental health quiz: Impact of mental health
- Activity 6: Risk and protective factors for mental health
- Activity 7: The Stress Container
Live session (2 hours 35 minutes):
- Introduction to the course
- Outline of live session 1, the value of Youth Mental Health First Aid
- Introduce ALGEE
- Recap what mental health is
- Recap the Mental Health Continuum
- Recap why Youth Mental Health First Aid is important
- Recap risk and protective factors
- The Stress Container
- The Frame of Reference
Session 2: Depression, Anxiety & Self-Care
Individual learning (1 hour 15 minutes):
- Activity 8: Your Stress Container
- Activity 9: Your Frame of Reference
- Activity 10: What is depression?
- Activity 11: What is anxiety?
Live session (2 hours 10 minutes):
- Introduction to live session 2
- Recap of homework after live session 1
- Recap depression
- Signs and symptoms of depression in a young person
- Recap anxiety
- Signs and symptoms of anxiety in a young person
- ALGEE for depression and anxiety in a young person
- ALGEE for depression and anxiety, action 1
- ALGEE for depression and anxiety, action 2-5
- Self-care and close
Day 2: 9am - 5pm
Session 3: Suicide & Psychosis
Individual learning (1 hour 20 minutes)
- Activity 12: Adolescent brain development
- Activity 13: About suicide
- Activity 14: Suicide risk factors
- Activity 15: What is psychosis?
- Activity 16: Lived experience of psychosis
- Activity 17: ALGEE for psychosis
Live session (2 hours 5 minutes)
- Introduction to live session 3
- Recap suicide
- Explore the impact of suicidal feelings
- ALGEE for suicidal crisis
- Practice non-judgemental listening skills
- Recap psychosis
- Recap warning signs and symptoms of psychosis
- Recap ALGEE for psychosis
Session 4: Self Harm, Recovery & Action Planning
Individual learning (1 hour 35 minutes)
- Activity 18: What is self-harm?
- Activity 19: What are eating disorders?
- Activity 20: Resilience
- Workbook activity 7: My action plan for using Youth Mental Health First Aid (completed after live session)
Live session (2 hours 25 minutes)
- Introduction to live session 4
- Recap self-harm, the self-harm continuum
- Warning signs of self-harm in young people
- ALGEE for self-harm
- Recap eating disorders
- ALGEE for eating disorders
- Applying MHFA to family and carers; the Recovery Tree
- Evaluation forms and close
Sign Up Today!
Sign up for our Youth Mental Health course or contact us for private workplace options and to request a more tailored approach.
Adult Mental Health First Aid Course – MHFA England
(2 Days Online)
The Adult Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) course is a training which teaches people how to identify, understand and help someone who may be experiencing a mental health issue. Learn to recognise the warning signs of mental ill health and how to empower someone to access support.
On completion of this course the delegate will receive a certificate from MHFA England and be qualified in supporting those struggling.
Why Choose Us?
5.0 Google Star Rating
We have case studies and testimonials to prove our worth! Check out our Google reviews here.
Trusted by Big Name Brands
From Airbus to Bali there is a good reason our big clients keep choosing us!
Lived-In Experienced Educators
Our instructors don’t just talk about it, they’ve lived through it so know what it is like.
Here are some of our top and re-curring clients, just to name a few. Need further proof? Ask us about our case studies.
But don't take our word for it, take a look at what our past delegates have to say! We have a 5 star rating on google. See for yourself!
I love working with Bianca, and have been fortunate enough to have been part of and organised many courses with her. she is super easy to discuss the course content with what I am after and very helpful in helping us a create a course designed to help particular attendees. Before, during and after the courses Bianca is always on hand and offers excellent support, very quick to answer any questions I have and helps guide us through every step. I will always use Bianca, and will always recommend her to others. Bianca is just such a lovely person, and everyone who I book on her courses agree!
HR Manager at Aardman Animation
Bianca was an incredible trainer, she has a wealth of experience and makes the environment very safe to tackle some challenging topics. I have learned so much over the course and feel confident I will now be better equipped to support others. Thank you for your passion and expertise.
Head of Safeguarding Case Mgmt at The Football Association
Bianca was engaging, sensitive and provided a safe space for people to openly discuss their uncertainties around mental health without fear of judgement.
Outdoor & Cycle Concepts